Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Is 2006 Going to Be Our 1994?

Public support continues to shift as Republicans become their own worst enemy: Bush's shrinking public support, Frist's HCA imbroglio, DeLay's indictments, and, as a loyal Kentuckian, Republican Governor Ernie Fletcher's ongoing brouhaha. No question "2006 can be a banner year for Democrats" has passed the lips of many a strategist here in Washington.

I can't help but think back to the last Congressional heave-ho built on corruption. The Nation's article by Center for American Progress/Progressive Majority's Robert Borosage thinks back to 1994's Gingrich "revolution", and provides some concrete ideas for 2006 Dems potential 2006 takeover.

Questions to ponder:

OCT 13th UPDATE: I can't believe I missed this story in the NYTimes. Great minds think alike, I guess. Though I can say the buzz about Dem potential in 2006 is everywhere around town, and I am glad to see my home state of KY mentioned:

Democratic campaign officials are racing to recruit more House candidates in places like Ohio and Kentucky. Representative Steny H. Hoyer, the Democratic whip and a leader in the recruitment effort, said he spent part of last week in Ohio with potential candidates, and his message is simple: "My basic premise is, I think this is the best context for Democrats to be running in for the House of Representatives since 1994."


Comments:
I don't think without a positive message that the Democrats can have any sort of revolution. Without having the ability to say, "we will do this," the we aren't them argument won't go far as a national message. Locally, however, a I'm not him/her message could help many candidates associated with the House.

More importantly, the Democrats have not been able to put the intellectual framework under which many operate into a good message. The party of inclusion, diversity, and helping out your fellow man hasn't been translated well. But those are just my two cents.
 
Having garnered tremendous experience and ahem, "character" by getting my backside kicked running campaigns across the nation I can tell you definitively that national trends don't mean squat to these local melees.

Individual horse races in each CD and senate race are decided by many times seemingly provincial issues. These don't show up in national polls. They always have and will continue to tip the balance in photo finish type races. You heard it here first kids.

Progressives dems win in conservative areas. Lane Evans of western IL, former Congressman John Bryant of Texas, and Tom Harkin of Iowa prove if you aren't afraid to be a democrat (HELLO! DLC, I am talking to you!) but you'll work hard and explain why you are going to go against the grain some will vote against you but more will vote for you and respect you. The way to win isn't just to lose. John Kerry, I respect your intellect and think you'd have made one hell of a fine President but any vet that was shot three times in the line of duty and then refuses to offer to kick the ass of the swift boat yahoos for saying you didn't get shot up enough to deserve the medals deserved the beating that you got. Thanks a hell of a lot for taking us all along for the ride. I ain't going the way that busline runs next time.

The first person that gets up and says "I think every damn kid in this great country ought to have high quality, affordable healthcare and if I have to pay a nickel more in taxes and so do every darn one of you I'd say it's a bargain and if that makes me liberal I say call me a damn liberal and my question to you is why in the hell aren't you a damn liberal too!?" - I'd vote for the son of a gun and you know what? A hell of a lot of others would line up to vote for that person to!

I approved this mesage and I ain't runnin for jack!
 
damn good post, Jeff - -well said

-ben loogan
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?