Saturday, October 15, 2005

It's my blog and I'll cry if I want to (pt 2)

(Read part 1 below before you read this one...)

After I wrote yesterday's post, I had a brief discussion with a colleague who was insistent that women - or anyone - not cry during a campaign. He wouldn't even read what I wrote, just insisted nobody cries, and that's the rule.

And I keep thinking about it.

On the one hand, he's right. During a campaign, you really do need to stuff a lot of emotions and just do the work in front of you. There's too much to do - it's too much of a pressure cooker - and though everyone's at their wits-end you have to keep chugging along - no sleep for the wearily - no breaks for the burned out - and no matter how tired or cranky or emotional you get in this worn down state your candidate(s) needs you to work hard and do your best. Even though the body/mind/spirit isn't built for 16 hour days for four month's straight - you gotta find other ways to unwind than falling apart on a tough day on the campaign trail. Sometimes I think I learned that lesson too late in my career.

But I can tell the ones who'll do well in this business by how well they do in the final days of a campaign by how they respond to the stress.

I've learned to enjoy that stage of the campaign and ride it with adrenaline, caffeine, loud cathartic singing ("Don't Cry for Me, Argentina was my 2004 campaign song), and annoying high-fives and pep talks to the newbys. I wish I could start over with this newfound peace during stress, but it's ironically the reason why I'm retired from that part of politics.

But here are a few questions to think about women and crying in politics:

Is it fair that President Bill Clinton crying at key moments is endearing, but a potential President Hillary Clinton can't follow suit? I think it would make her look cold in comparison, and, I think, less compassionate and real.

What would Pat Schroeder think about women crying in politics now? She cried at a press conference when she dropped out of the Presidential race. Many thought it undid her career as a politician. I think she is a wonderful person who charted new territory, and was fully herself
every step of the way. I deeply admire her.

Was it wrong when Senator Mary Landreiu cried during her flyover of New Orleans with George Stephanopolous for This Week? Honestly, she did the right thing and lived in the moment. She made me cry in empathy and feel her pain.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?