Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Express Guilty of Downsize-ism

Through a lot of focus, hard-work, and determination, I've lost almost 70 lbs since February. It's the hardest thing I've ever done - harder than running a Governor's race, harder than graduating college a year early, and harder than surviving a New Hampshire blizzard. One of the things I was looking forward to doing when I lost my weight was shopping at "normal stores."

See, for those of you who are of "normal" size, you probably take it for granted that you have a wide array of store choices. I did too, until I gained those 70 lbs.

It was mortifying for me to realize I needed to switch to the plus sizes. I will never forget the day I had to buy bigger clothing 10 years ago. I was in Louisville standing in Bacon's "Woman's" Department - the code word for fat chicks in many stores - and I just started to cry. I couldn't believe I was a size 18. I eventually grew to my largest size 24.

It was embarrassing to stand there that day and know things had changed for me. I will never forget the shame I felt. It wasn't until years later that I learned that it was due to a medication I took that ruined my metabolism. I was at the time a vegan, and eating a whole foods diet. I was exercising. But my body had changed due to the medicine, and to reverse that - now off the medicine - has taken a strict eating program and exercise. No surprises there. There is definitely something to be said about metabolism that has nothing to do with will-power or caring for oneself. It just happened, and it has taken a lot of attention for me to reverse it.

So, my size 18 jeans are now loose after dropping almost all of those 70 lbs., and I know I need a new wardrobe again. I am at the magic weight I'd hoped to reach when I could go to the "normal" stores again. A size 16 was always at stores like the Limited (now Express), where I spent the majority of my clothing budget.

Today, however, not so, just a big disappointment. Today I feel the same sense of embarrassment I felt 10 years ago when I was ghettoized to the fat chick department when I entered the Express store at Union Station to learn that the largest size they now carried was a 12! That is the size I'll be when I finally reach my goal weight, but what happened to sizes 14 and 16 they used to carry?

So I did something I've wanted to do for the last 10 years since gaining that weight - I asked for the Express corporate customer service number to complain. It's 1-877-415-4551, if you'd also like to call, or email them. I told them I used to spend all my clothing money at this store, and about my weight loss, and wanted to know if they carried any bigger sizes. They said no. I asked for an explanation of why they chose to eliminate sizes 14 and 16, and they said they would send me a formal letter. I promise to reprint it here if it comes.

It will be interesting to find out how they try to justify this. The average size of a woman in America is a size 14. I am tall for a woman at 5ft 8 inches, and am a German descendant (and all the brawnyness that comes with that.) I am looking more fit and better looking than I have in years, and am deeply proud of my weight loss.

But I strongly believe Express is wrong to exclude these sizes.

I think Express - and all women's stores - should sell at least to a size 18, if not larger. They are loosing money by this choice, so it doesn't make any sense - and at a time when women are growing larger, not smaller.

Now, you may say it is the store's way of sending a message to women that they should loose weight. Give me a break - stores aren't fitness centers or intro preaching morality, they are into taking our money. By that logic, it's an unwise financial decision. These stores have lost money from me for years.

God bless Lane Bryant for changing their styles, becoming hip, and dumping the moo moos, because they've kept me clothed for years. But this isn't about Lane Bryant, they'll be getting my money for a bit longer, it seems. It's about arbitrary beauty discrimination.

What is beautiful, after all? Do they not want woman of "size" shopping or being seen in their stores? If so, shouldn't they do a beauty-check at the door to make sure teeth are white and straight, hair is well-coiffed, and faces fit a certain level of beauty too? Wouldn't want all ugly chicks to be seen in your stores, right?

I am angry because it is wrong of Express to eliminate these sizes. It is embarrassing to me personally - and an affront to the majority of women in America - who are size 14 or larger.

I urge you to join me to complain about their downsize-ism by calling 1-877-415-4551 or emailing today to tell them they are wrong to choose arbitrary beauty limits over free market choices, and are loosing money because of it.

Comments:
I've heard stores cut down the names of the sizes, so a 12 is actually the old 14... I think.
 
Thanks for posting this, Kris! I just called Express to complain. I am a size 16, and this is crazyness! My walk down Conn. Ave at Dupont here in DC also yeilded the same embarassment for me. Nobody sells my size, and most people don't think of me as fat.

I've also heard some stores will sell larger sizes only on the internet, like the friggin' GAP.

The Gap's "come into our stores and try on a pair of jeans and get an i-tune" is only is good if you are a size 14 or smaller. That's discriminating, too.

How can someone buy a pair of jeans without trying them on???? How many pairs do you have to try on before you pick one?

The Gap sucks, too.
 
Good for you...This is soooo healthy and helpful of you...
 
It's true, anonymous 'one.' Sizes have been increasing in the U.S. since WW II. While people are larger in general thanks to better nutrition, stores (like Express) have also consciously made each of their sizes much larger in the past decade. They hope that being able to squeeze into a smaller size will make women feel good about themselves and induce them to buy, buy, buy. I'm not saying it's a good thing (in fact I think it prays on women's self-conciousness), but it's true. I totally love women off all sizes, but I guess in the name of being fair and honest, I have to point out that a size 12 today was a size 16 ten years ago...
 
Congratulations, by the way, on your big victory in weight loss. In NO WAY do I mean to pipe up as some skinny bitch who isn't supportive. I'm just saying that, since we're talking about sizes and insecurities, that there is a related and interesting conversation to be had about size inflation.
 
http://www.expressfashion.com/contactus.jsp is the contact us page of their website, if you'd rather send an email...
 
Don't think that Express and Gap are the only ones. I saw the most darling dress in Ann Taylor for my daughter; however, Ann Taylor's biggest size is a 12.

I've also noticed that even stores that carry larger sizes have started shifting them around. Let me explain. It used to be that you could get up to a size 18 in a department store with the so-called "Misses" sizes. Now those sizes end at 14 or 16. You have to wander elsewhere for 16-20 and yet somewhere else for larger than that. I don't understand the balkanization of women's clothes.

P.S. -- I don't think the Size 2 woman was being mean or insulting. My cousin is tiny, and it's really hard for her to find clothes, too, because designers think everyone's a 6 to 12. It shows how little they respect women and the variability of their curves.
 
I am engaged and planning a wedding and only recently discovered the truth about the size changes in the past decades. When I went to try on wedding dresses, I could not fit into a 10 or 12 (which is the sizes I usually wear in "regular" clothes) but had to go to 14 and 16 sizes. I don't really care about the numbers but when I inquired about it I found out that the size change is real. J. Crew is the worst of the bunch. I have several pairs of pants that are size 8 (and even a size 6) when in reality they are sizes 10+. I think the most evil thing about this is that it tricks women into believing they are a certain size and it perpetuates the idea that we should BE a certain size. So what happens when we go to a place that uses traditional sizing, such as wedding dress shops? We feel bad about ourselves at a moment when we should feel the most beautiful. It's ridiculous. I don't understand why stores wouldn't want money from all the beautiful healthy ladies out there who are being their natural selves just like the skinny chicks are. I think if enough people complained, they would at least start carrying SOME of the larger sizes. Even if they ran out (which I am sure they would) it would be nice to know that they were putting forth an effort to serve all of their customers and not just the ladies that happen to fit some twisted social expectation of what they should be.
 
I am short, so I have left many a store empty handed because everything is too long. Who knows how to hem those flair legged pants that are so popular now? I would like to shop in a store that sizes women's clothing by inches, like men's clothing. An inch is an inch. There are no games to be played there. So for pants there could be a waist, hip and length measurement and everyone could go buy pants that fit! Same for tops. I think someone could start a successful business here.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?