Tuesday, November 01, 2005

One Person Can Make A Difference

As I left my apartment building near 15th and N Sts NW in Washington yesterday, the air was clear, the day was bright, and a spring was in my step. Walking to my bus stop, thinking of my work day ahead, I saw a crowd gathering a block away. The officer told me as I was to cross M St that this is where Rosa Parks funeral is going to take place – one blessed block from my new place. A national treasure’s final goodbye one blessed block from my place. Oprah Winfrey expressing her gratitude and farewell one blessed block from my place. I couldn’t believe it.

Me being me, I stopped in my tracks and considered going to the CVS around the corner to buy a piece of poster board and grab a sharpie from home to put “ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE” in big, bold, thank you letters to say my part. Like anyone would care, necessarily? But Rosa Parks inspires me deeply, and it’s only (did I mention?) one blessed block from my place and I am standing right there.

But, though the tug to stand there with my sign was strong, I knew I had a lot on my plate at work, so I headed on to my bus stop. The irony that I was walking to catch a bus was not lost on me, knowing anybody who boarded could sit anywhere they liked.

I am glad I didn’t see those days of Jim Crowe laws. I can’t imagine someone’s skin color relating to those crazy, insane, arbitrary Jim Crowe laws did back when Rosa Parks stayed put in her seat. It really hasn’t even been that long ago, has it? I can’t imagine it, really. But I board the bus, sit in the back, and keep on thinking.

I know we have more to do to defeat the effects that slavery and racism have on our society even today. We have plenty to do on a lot of issues, and I think about that all the time. Lately, my thoughts have gone from “Please, let’s bring home the troops from Iraq!” to “How do we have a balanced Supreme Court with Bush as President?” to “How can we win at least either the House or Senate next year?” to “We have the power to save millions in sub-Saharan Africa if the USA acts now.” I am thinking about this all the time, and trying to find my role in that process as each day passes. I never feel like I am accomplishing enough, but I know this field is where I belong.

And then here’s Rosa Parks’s funeral one blessed block from my place. It motivates me just at the right moment when I am looking for a sign that I am on the right path in my life.

My journey started young and strong. From the moment I became politically aware as a 6th grade student at Our Lady of Mt Carmel, I knew I wanted to be in politics – I knew clearly that if government performed correctly it could be a force for good in the lives of others. I’d heard the stories from my Grandfather about FDR and the Civilian Conservations Corps that saved our family from starvation and dire poverty.

I remember the nuns and priests at OLMC and at Holy Rosary telling me about social justice issues and I knew I wanted to make a difference. As I grew older, I knew I could be a teacher or an aid worker and affect the lives of people on an individual basis, and I admired that. Yet I felt from that early age that if I were in politics I could potentially affect larger numbers of people in need. I’ve always wanted to be in politics not for power for myself, or greed, or fame, or wealth, but in service to others and make the world a better place.

But as the years went on and my ambition crept smaller and smaller, I’ve wondered if I really could make a difference.

I’ve had many a jaded year in Democratic politics with its hardball and smashmouth and its take-no-prisoners survival of the fittest craziness, just as much from my own party as the other. That young person who wanted world peace and food for all is still there.

My deep, compassionate heart always wanted to win with my agenda so I could help the powerless have more power and help the voiceless have a voice. I knew what it was like first hand to be the little guy, and I’ve worked hard for everything I’ve had. And though I know that’s why I got involved in politics and campaigns in the first place, Rosa Parks’ legacy inspires me personally to know for sure that one person really can make a difference. I hope I get to too.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?