Monday, March 06, 2006

Three 6 Mafia Wins Oscar

They were the Governor Jesse Ventura of this year's Oscars.

I love rap, and I love it that they won on many levels. How else we gonna get rap on NPR?

But I am sad that Dolly Parton lost. I love Dolly. Three things I need more of in my CD/MP3 Collection (and I do have lots of rap in there): yodeling, polka and Dolly Parton. I am comin' out the closet about all three.

Congrats to George Clooney, who gave the classiest acceptance speech. Up yours, Bill O'Reilly.

But CRASH wins best picture?
Give me a break. My five fans know that I would not have put it in my top five in 2005. Top 10, yes, but not top five. I think Brokeback Mountain was robbed. I wish Jake G coulda won too. And more for Brokeback. I am sad.

So I hope the win for Crash does what the voters wanted: open up a big dialogue on race issues. I share the underlying sentiments that all too often our frustrations and steriotypes are only spoken behind closed doors, not out in the open. I've thought about trying to write about my own thoughts on race relations, but I do fear that what I would say might be taken out of context. I understand the overarching fears behind our lack of a dialogue. There are so many strong feelings and so many chances for misunderstandings all steming from a basic misunderstanding of a differing perspective. But I think Oprah did the best job on this when she hosted the CRASH cast last summer, and I know she was pulling for a Crash win. So I do hope that the millions more people who will now see it will reconsider their deepest negative steriotypes and grow in a bigger, more inclusive perspective. But I was hoping the same for gay marriage. I wish we could expand perspectives on both issues.

But I stand by my previous statements - Crash is too over the top and in your face in ways that are too implausible to make it the best picture. I know, me picking subtle over in your face? But Brokeback was robbed.

Comments:
Kris:

On the Oscars. I didn't watch them; I was calling Bingo at my church, as I have on every other Sunday for nearly 22 years. But I am not much of a movie-goer or -seer. I did two new movies last year, Good Night and Brokeback. I was impressed with the first, but not so much with the second, except for the scenery (the sheep, the land, and the stars) and the last 1/4 of the story line: it was chilling. So, I am not a good judge of things. I've been told lots about Crash, but haven't seen it. All of these movies should lead to new and better dialogue on matters which matter to people like you and me.

On your music, I, too am a fan of some rap, some polka (too many Catholic picnics and Democratic Clubs) and a few others things. But Dolly isn't one of them. I like Eminem more than Dolly. Just my penny's worth.
 
I saw Crash. I still want those two hours of my life back. Absolute whinging claptrap of Hollywood-liberal talking points masquerading as a script. It's about as realistic as a Democratic president in our near future.

Clooney's speech was cool. The right touch of self-effacing humor mixed with a non-whingy defense -- no, declaration -- of his views. Thanks, George.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?