Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Randomizing™: Poverty, Health Care and Theater. One of these things is not like the other…

OKAY, y'all. Randomizing is back for a second round. Here’s to the hodgepodge of things catching my eyes today:

Reprise (or is it coda?):On Virginia Woodward & the KY State Senate: What about the basic art of “dancing with the one that brung you?” How about supporting a person because she did everyone’s work to get the seat back open through the court system? Seems plenty enough to me. If for no other reason, the people who didn’t support her should be ashamed due to this principle: it simply was the right thing to do, and I’ve heard no decent excuse to support their poor decision to leave the dance with somebody else.

Reprise #2 (again, or is it coda #2?): Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World: I’ll look it up in time for the next Randomizing™ Here is a new article about Albert Brooks’ new movie.

Don’t miss this article on out of control health care costs. Have you signed this pledge yet?

Don’t miss this op-ed in the NY Times by Nikolas Kristof on eliminating extreme poverty in Africa. Nevermind! I can't link it for you because it's on blasted Times Select. Am I the only one that hates Times Select? I miss regularly reading Paul Krugman and Maureen Dowd, much less linking to them from this blog. Please, New York Times people, ditch it, so we poor on-line folk can be liberated by their thinking once again. Times Select, I ain't payin'. It's really too bad that I can't blog about this important op-ed, as it's really good - but Times Select says "NO!" But I digress...

Back to Africa. Have you signed the One Campaign pledge? Just 100 years ago, extreme poverty existed in the U.S.A., and preventable disease once plagued us too. 50 years ago, Africa and most of Southeast Asia were at the same place, development-wise. Now it’s time to help the poorest countries in Africa catch up and live up to their potential. I can’t sit idly by while so many are dying of the most extreme poverty and preventable disease like tuberculosis, when there are decent plans to end it in the next 10 years. Digression: I reconnected with Chantel McCormick, who’s organizing great things for the One Campaign in Lexington. If you are in Kentucky, look her up, help her out, and get involved. More Digression: did you know that if it weren’t for tuberculosis, I wouldn’t be alive? My grandparents met and fell in love while living in a t.b. sanatorium. My Grandmother lived there for four years, can you believe it? So to hear that t.b. exists after all these years and advances in science while being so treatable here, well that just doesn’t jive with my morals and values.

Bill Clinton Spontaneously Greeting? I loved this story and this story about Clinton accidentially greeting troops returning to the U.S. Just the way I think about him, able to hang with regular people, talking about life. He’s already done more off the record talking with soldiers than our current President. Go, Bill, Go! Can’t we election you again?

Another Greeting in the Works. President Bush is going to Kentucky tomorrow – my home town. Hope all my friends back home are going out with signs to say "bring home the troops." I am there in spirit, y’all.

Are you in DC, and wanna go see any of the following with me? I hope to go to them and blog about them: Fat Pig, a play about body image and dating; Eve Ensler’s Good Body, another play about body image & the ladies; Betty Rules, a fun musical about cool women who do great singing.

Comments:
Great blog I hope we can work to build a better health care system as we are in a major crisis and health insurance is a major aspect to many.
 
Eve Enslar is awesome. I would go with you if I was there Kris! Please go and tell me all about it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?